You’re a future immigrant to the province of Quebec? You’re trying to figure out how you can rent your future apartment without knowing much about the rental market laws here. For sure, you’ll be interested in this document published by the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), a trustworthy Governmental Agency.
«Renting in Quebec» will tell you everything you need to know. For example:
- What if I sublet an apartment? Am I protected in some ways?
- What can happen if I’m late paying my monthly rent? Can I be evicted in a matter of days?
- Can a landlord enter in my rental unit any time?
- May a landlord include a no-smoking clause in the lease?
- Contact information if you need to know more?
The link for a summary of the document is: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/reho/yogureho/fash/fash_011.cfm
Good luck with your new home. However, upon your arrival, a short term apartment rented for short term in Montreal or suburbs allows you to take your time to find a neighbourhood you will like, a school appropriate for your children and THE non-furnished apartment that will fit your needs in terms of space and budget.